Microsoft Windows is a series of graphical operating systems developed and marketed by Microsoft. Windows and Apple's macOS are the two major operating systems primarily supported by Adobe's software.
History[edit | edit source]
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates visited and licensed technology from Xerox PARC, as Apple Computer co-founder Steve Jobs had done. Jobs also invited Bill Gates to preview the pre-release development of the Macintosh in 1983.
Apple lawsuit[edit | edit source]
After Jobs was forced out and Microsoft had released Windows 2.0 with a graphical user interface that was more similar to the Mac, Apple Computer, under CEO John Sculley, filed a federal lawsuit in 1988 against Microsoft for infringing on its operating system. However, U.S. federal judge William Schwarzer dismissed several charges against Microsoft in 1995 after discovering that Sculley had signed off on a 1985 deal that had licensed parts of Macintosh technology to Microsoft. After Apple co-founder Steve Jobs returned to the company in late 1996, he negotiated an end to the lawsuits with Microsoft and agreed to cross-license technology between the two companies in exchange for Microsoft's commitment to continue developing software such as Microsoft Office for the Mac and an investment of $150 million in Apple non-voting stock to help keep it out of bankruptcy.
Release history[edit | edit source]
- Windows 1.0 - November 20, 1985
- Windows 2.0.3 - December 9, 1987
- Windows 2.11 - March 13, 1989
- Windows 3.0 - May 22, 1990
- Windows 3.1 - April 6, 1992
- Windows NT 3.1 - July 27, 1993
- Windows NT 3.5 - September 21, 1994
- Windows 95 - August 24, 1995
- Windows NT 4.0 - August 24, 1996
- Windows CE 1.0 - November 16, 1996
- Windows 98 - June 25, 1998
- Windows 2000 - December 15, 1999
- Windows Me - June 19, 2000
- Windows XP - August 24, 2001
- Windows Vista - January 30, 2007
- Windows 7 - October 22, 2009
- Windows 8 - October 26, 2012
- Windows 8.1 - October 17, 2013
- Windows 10 - July 29, 2015
References[edit | edit source]
- Today in Apple history: Microsoft gets sued for ripping off Mac OS by Luke Dormehl, Cult of Mac. 2019-03-17.
- Microsoft's relationship with Apple by Christoph Dernbach, Mac History. 2011-01-30.
[edit | edit source]
- Microsoft Windows at Microsoft
- Microsoft Windows at the Adobe Wiki
- Microsoft Windows at the Apple Wiki
- Microsoft Windows and list of Windows versions at Wikipedia
- This article is a Stub. Please help the Photoshop Wiki by .